Thursday, March 26, 2009

Quick Tomato Pie:



I was craving tomato pie the other day. The kind that my friend Angela always has at family parties or picnics. It's one of my favorites! But, since Cayman doesn't seem to have a pizza place I like that makes a classic tomato pie like home I decide to try making one myself. Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
2 refrigerated pizza crust (thick crusts, these can be found in your grocer's refrigerated section, I found mine near the dairy and cheeses, you can make your own fresh crust too, but I was being rather lazy the day I made this tomato pie)
1 can (approx. 8 oz) tomato paste
1 can (approx. 8 oz) tomato sauce
Fresh Romano cheese grated (use more or less to suit your taste)
1 to 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
Oregano (more or less to suit your taste)
Black Pepper (more or less to suit your taste)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While oven is preheating take the tomato paste and the tomato sauce in a bowl and mix together. Then take the oregano, black pepper and minced garlic and mix together with the sauce.

2. Split the sauce mixture and spread on top of both store bought or fresh pizza crusts.

3. Bake in oven for 10 minutes on 375 degrees until the crust is slightly golden brown. After 10 minutes is up, take pizza out of oven and sprinkle Romano cheese on top. The heat from the pizza will melt the cheese slightly. You can eat this pizza hot or at room temperature. I prefer to eat it at room temperature.

Enjoy!